Monday, November 15, 2004

Enlightenment

I think I've tapped on Enlightenment's door twice. Very briefly both times, but I'm beginning to know darn well when I knock.

Once was on Topsail Island about three or four years ago. I had just showered from being in the ocean, and was outside in a fresh T-shirt and shorts, at dusk, walking along the beach. The wind was wonderful. I turned into it and consciously tried to meditate as I had been taught and read, and poof! for just a second, I was there. I think it took about 10 minutes to rid my mind of thought. But then I think the magnitude of what happened snapped me right back out of it. Either way it was wonderful, and I still have the shell I found and 'used' to remove thought. For that brief second, I only was.

The second time was about three minutes ago. I was sitting here worrying about Bristol and all it may or may not entail, and, as is my recent habit when Bristol comes to mind, I reminded myself that it doesn't exist yet. To be where I am. And POOF again. I wasn't trying to knock. It just happened. I like that.

No comments: